Tenant FAQ’s

Making an offer
A Non-refundable charge is taken when you offer to let a property. This charge is later off set against your advance rental payment. If the Landlord declines your offer or decides not to proceed with your offer, these monies are refunded to you in full. If you decide to pull out and do not proceed with the rental, these monies are non-refundable.
Rental Payment
Rent is payable monthly, quarterly or half yearly in advance and sometimes upfront rental payments are required. Initial payments are in the form of Bankers Draft, CHAPS or Debit card payments (SWITCH/SOLO/MAESTRO) and thereafter by Standing Order.
A minimum of three references to include your employer, bank, and previous landlord is required and some data may be obtained via a credit reference agency, the cost for which will be borne by the Landlord.
A UK based Guarantor may be required from time to time. If this is required, the Guarantor will complete a credit reference application form and sign the tenancy agreement, taking full responsibility for the contractual obligations.
Farrar & Co will collect a five- or six-weeks deposit which will be held by Farrar & Co in a separate client account. Farrar & Co will act as Stakeholder and these monies will be retained on account for the duration of the tenancy and will be released in accordance with the terms set out in the tenancy agreement. Farrar & Co do not pay interest on deposits.
Tenancy Charges
Farrar & Co prepare Tenancy Agreements for Landlord and Tenant, the charges which are borne by the Landlord.
Utility bills
Tenants are responsible, unless otherwise stated, for the costs of all utility accounts for the duration of the tenancy (i.e electricity, gas, water, telephone). They are also required by law to register with the Local Authority for payment of Council Tax during the tenancy.
Length of Tenancy
Generally, let on a long-term basis i.e 12 months. The term of a tenancy is discussed when you make offer to let and is agreed between the Landlord and the Tenant, via Farrar & Co.
The Landlord usually pays for an inventory to be made and the costs for checking in and checking out. An Independent Inventory Clerk is appointed to provide a report on behalf of the Landlord. At the end of the tenancy the check in and check out reports will be used to assess for any damage (if any) that may have been incurred during occupation of the property.
The Landlord is responsible for insuring his fixtures and fittings. Tenants personal possessions are not covered by this insurance and tenants are advised to take adequate insurance cover for your possessions.
The Immigration Act 2014, The Money Laundering Regulations 2003 and The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 oblige us to take and retain a record of clients and tenant’s identification. Prior to move in, Farrar & Co will take a Photostat copy of an item of photographic identification with you in person i.e. a passport, photo card driving license and a BRP card where applicable.